Wednesday, December 24, 2014

It Really Is A Wonderful Life, pt. 2


“No man is a failure who has friends."


This Christmas has been different than most we have had recently – in fact this year was a little different in general. Because we were not going out of town, we were determined to do some things that we had never done before, and when I heard that the Franklin Theater was showing two of my favorite Christmas movies – White Christmas and It’s a Wonderful Life – I knew I had to take my children.


Sitting and watching these two movies with friends and family was an amazing experience. Hearing the audience reaction, watching my kids, and enjoying these two movies in a new setting was wonderful. As I sat there, watching and listening, one could feel the community, the shared experience that the audience was having, and it was like watching something for the first time.



Yet for all that, there was something else that made this experience, and one of these movies in particular, stand out. As many of you know, this year was a difficult one for my health – in April, at 39 years of age, I was told I would be having my 3rd hip replacement. I later also found out I had an infection. In addition to the health problems, finances were tight, stress was placed on my family, I was out of work, and in general, it all was overwhelming. Many times, I felt like I was at the end of my rope.



As I watch It’s A Wonderful Life, it was like I was watching the movie for the first time. I saw and understood George Bailey in a way I never had before. I saw myself in that man – a man so overwhelm that he almost gave up, and then Clarence showed up and his perspective changed. When he returned home, with a different outlook, the second miracle occurred – George saw an outpouring of love and care he had never witnessed. Friends, family, and ordinary people gave and cared for him in an amazing way.



While that closing scene played, tears began streaming down my face as memory after memory flooded back to me from this past year. Memories of people bringing us meals. Memories of gifts that covered every medical bill and then some. Memories of people taking care of housework – cleaning, cutting grass, home repairs. Memories of people praying over me and lifting my family up before him. From cards, visits, gifts, and just caring in every way imaginable, I watched as people surround us, and took care of us in one of our darkest hours and greatest times of need.



The tears I shed 2 days ago watching that priceless movie were not tears of sorrow, but of overwhelming joy and thankfulness. Thankfulness for the friends and family that surrounded me and my family and cared for us in so many ways. Thankfulness for seeing God use so many to provide for us in an amazing way. Thankfulness for showing true His promise that He would never leave or forsake us.



As I sat, wiping away the tears, so many names came to mind, so many instances that showed His love through the people around me. Was it hard, yes. Do I want to go through it again, not particularly. Were there very discouraging and dark days, absolutely. Is it sometimes still hard, yes. Am I thankful, beyond expression. I saw very clearly – more clearly than I ever have – what George Bailey learned in that wonderful movie, and I was humbled and blessed by so many of you during our need.



I could not let this Christmas season go by without sending out a “thanks” to so many of you who showed me Christ, and blessed me with your love and friendship. The road may be long and hard, and the journey at times discouraging, but He is faithful, and His love never ends. This year, I saw His hands through many of you. At the end of the movie Clarence wrote, “Remember George, no man is a failure who has friends.” This year, I saw how truly rich and blessed I am by those in my life. May this year be full of many such experiences for you and your family. May you see Him and His work in your life in a way you never have before, for He is faithful. May we each see how truly blessed we are. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment