Sunday, August 4, 2013

Storms

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in You." - Isaiah 26:3




Darkness. Quiet. Stillness. As I sat on the porch, rocking, it seemed as if the world were holding its breathe. There was no movement, and all seemed still and at peace. In the distance, there was a small flash. As I sat and read, rocking in my chair, the light show continued, growing stronger. Softly at first but steadily building, small rumbles of thunder seemed to echo on endlessly. Lightning intensified, and the thunder began to roar as the skies opened up.

Sitting on the porch, I was pulled from my reading, taken in to the show being performed around me. I closed my eyes and listened to the thunder and rain, losing myself in the quiet steady beat. The rhythm of the rain periodically punctuated by the rumble of thunder that seemed to go on and on, never ending. Listening, I opened my eyes and watched the beautiful dance of the lightning play out across the skies. As it jumped from cloud to cloud, or simply lit up the sky, silhouetting the shapes and contours of the clouds, the beauty playing out before me was breathtaking.

Storms are not always thought of as beautiful. In fact, they can be quite destructive. Many times fear or worry are the emotions associated with this event. Not many people enjoy rain - it ruins plans and disrupts life. And while these descriptions can be true, storms can also be quiet beautiful and peaceful. They seem to refresh and make new the world around us. While they can be destructive, they can also bring new life. While they can be frightening and terrifying, they can also be quite peaceful.

Looking at my life, there have been many storms. There have been times and events that were destructive and not enjoyable. There has been rain. These times were in many ways difficult. They were hard, and often, did not seem very peaceful. So much of how we walk through these storms depends on our focus. Peter found this to be true when he took those first few steps out of the boat. With his focus on Christ, he could walk, when he lost that focus, he sank.

In my own life, I have found that this is true. The times when the storms are frightening, discouraging, or even just worrisome, are the times when my focus has shifted from Him, and instead only the problems surrounding me are visible. My focus on Him can give me the perspective of security and peace, and help me see the beauty and rest even in the most horrific storm. This does not mean I like it, or even enjoy it, but it does mean that in spite of the storm, I can still have His rest and peace.

When our focus is on Him, we can have peace in the storm, We can find rest, even in the face of fear and destruction, if our eyes remain on Him. When we see Him, we can see the beauty and new life that these storms bring. Storms are not always pleasant, and they can be hard and destructive, but they can also be peaceful, and beautiful, and with them comes new life.

As I sat on the porch at the beach, rain was definitely not my first choice for the weather. I would have much rather not been facing the storm, but it was where I found myself. The choice before me when faced with the storm is my focus and mindset. If our focus is on Him, and our trust in Him is steadfast, we can have "perfect peace" even in the midst of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment