Tuesday, December 24, 2013

“Isn’t there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?”

“For unto you is born this day...a Savior...” -Luke 2:11



Anyone who knows me can testify to the fact that when it comes to Christmas, I am a nut. I love everything about this season of the year – I have the ties, socks, lights, decorations, and a Christmas music library of about 1,000 songs. Some have even joked about the enormous power drain my house puts on the power system due to the ridiculous number of lights that I put up each year.
 
Since childhood, this season has always seemed magical. As a child, we would all get up at the crack of dawn (with prodding from my father). Upon rising, we would empty our stockings while Mom made breakfast. After eating, we would read the Christmas story from Luke 2, and then tear into the presents. Each year, now, as we sit around the tree, I am taken back to those fond memories. Images so powerful and real, I feel sometimes as if I am still there. Traditions that became a part of me and my celebration of Christmas, and ones that impact my family now.

Among these memories, are times gathered around the television watching such classic Christmas favorites as White Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and especially A Wonderful Life (which showed non-stop the entire month of December). Of all these, my favorite would have to be the story of a little outcast boy, looking for the meaning of Christmas.
 
By now, you may have guessed, I am talking about A Charlie Brown Christmas. This story never ceases to bring tears to my eyes. The story is one of the most memorable events of Christmas. It may be so touching, because each of us, at one time or another, can relate to this little boy. We can relate to a boy searching for something bigger than himself. This desire is seen in Charlie Brown most clearly, when, at one point during the show, he cries out, “Isn’t there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?” The answer comes in the still, small voice of his friend, Linus, who very simply quotes this passage from Luke 2:

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (Luke 2:8- 13)

After this, Linus quietly states, “That’s what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown.” It is about the birth of our Savior; the start of a journey that would bring this precious, little child to a cross that would lead to salvation, not only for myself, but for anyone in the world who would chose to follow Him. It was a moment in time in which our Savior chose to step into this world, and drastically change its destiny.

Every time I hear and see this scene, it sends chills through me. What a powerful message. A message of hope, salvation, redemption, and cleansing though Christ. The Savior who had come to live among His creation – Emmanuel, God with us! As we all take time for family, presents, good food, movies, music, and Christmas traditions, be sure to remember that the real joy for this day, comes not from the things we do, but from what was done for us. For in this first step of the Savior, hope and joy really did come to earth.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment